Ever since I moved out of my parent’s place and into my boyfriends – I took a 180 turn from SJ ABG to domesticated housewife. Kitchen gadgets to new me is like blonde hair to old me – essential! From the Instant Pot to the sous-vide and even the pasta maker – you name it and I’ll get my hands on it, even if the kitchen drawers are overflowing… Of these nifty gadgets, my favorite has got to be the air fryer. I talk about it to my friends, I advertise it to anybody who mentions it, I literally use it every day and I think I might even die without it. The Philips Air Fryer was a birthday present from my family during the first year after I moved out and I’ve used it for everything.
However, it wasn’t until this whole pandemic situation that I decided to cook steak with it! If I loved the air fryer so much, why did it take me three years to try steak you ask? Well – steaks were always something I cooked using the sous-vide! Therefore, it never occurred to me to try with the air fryer until I was sheltered in at my parents’ house – with no sous-vide and two delicious slabs of bone in ribeye steaks, air fryer was my best option. And boy was that a blessing in disguise, because these steaks turned out FANTASTIC. Even better is that it is so incredibly E A S Y and quick. Follow the instructions below to get the most out of your steak and your air fryer.
Air Fried Steak
Description: Get the most tender, perfect steak within minutes with the air fryer! It requires some prep time, but honestly you will not regret! Pair with your favorite pasta or side.
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 1 in Thick, 1 lb Rib-Eye Steak (with or without bone)
- 2 Thinly Sliced Pieces of Butter
- Time (as much as 12 hours but any time you can get is valuable)
I N S T R U C T I O N S:
- Season the steak with salt and pepper – sprinkle salt and pepper around the entire steak and pat in get the seasoning to stick. I like to make sure to get salt and pepper on the fat sides as well, it makes for some extra delicious flavor.
- Leave seasoned steak in a plate or Tupperware uncovered in the fridge for up to 12 hours. I season the steak in the morning to prep it for dinner time
- When ready: place the 2 slice of butter on each side of the steak, set air fryer to 400 degrees, cook steak for 15-16 minutes – this will give you a medium rare steak. 20 minutes will give you a medium well steak. Do not flip the steak half way – just let it cook through until the end.
- Once timer goes off, cover the steak in foil for 3 minutes. Slice and enjoy.
This was the easiest steak I cooked, I could not believe how simple and fool proof it was! Check out a few of my #Nganstoptips below to elevate your experience.
- When leaving steak uncovered in the fridge, I like to use a Tupperware to keep the steak from touching everything in the surrounding area. It’s also safer to prevent the steak from sliding off the plate and onto the ground in transport! Don’t let that happen.
- Not flipping the steak will give it a nice crust on top! The steak will cook fine regardless because the air in the fryer will circulate.
- Leaving the steak seasoned for hours in the fridge will tenderize and flavor it. It also ‘ages’ a little and will keep the juices packed in.
- Boneless steak requires a little less cooking time – 14 minutes should give you perfect medium rare. The cooking time also depends mostly on the thickness of the steak, if it is thinner, less time is required!
- TSA Approved: Feel free to bring this piece of meat with you on any flight! Food flies free and this meal right here is worth taking with you!