Fun fact about me: I like to watch The Bachelor, and am obsessed with one of the past season’s contestant – Lauren B (now Lauren Lane). Not obsessed in the I’m-going-to-stand-outside-of-your-house-and stare-at-you obsessed, but just the “WOW, you’re my style icon, fitspo, makeup and hair guru” obsessed… I realize there’s probably no way to spin it to make the word ‘obsessed’ sound any less crazy, so I guess I’ll stop trying.
Anyway – being a crazed fan and all, I saw on her IG story one night that she was making a miso mushroom pasta from one of those home meal subscriptions and my interest was piqued. Mushrooms and miso together seem to be the perfect umami combo – coupled together in a sauce over some carbs? Why haven’t I thought of that… I mean it just sounds delicious already, no?! If there’s anything I’m the MOST obsessed with, it is food and cooking food – so while Lauren’s post was advertising the meal subscription; I was influenced to come up with my own version of the pasta instead.
In tonight’s episode of #QuarantineChronicles – a ‘bachelor Monday’ special (The Bachelor/Bachelorette always airs on Monday nights), I thought I’d share this recipe with you! Together we can have dinner, drink some wine, and tune in to my favorite reality tv show.
Miso Mushroom Pasta:
Description: A flavorful, balanced, savory pasta filled with umami. Great for pairing with steak, any other protein, or just fabulous by itself!
Serving Size: 3-4
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 3 Tbsp White Miso Paste
- 3 Tbsp Butter (use Miyoko if vegan)
- ½ Tsp Olive Oil
- ½ of a Small Brown Onion
- 5 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Cups Mushroom Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (use Annie’s if vegan)
- 1 Tbsp/A Splash of White Wine *
- ½ Cup Oat Milk (Can sub with any other nut milk or regular milk)
- ¼ Cup Water (feel free to use pasta water)
- ¼ Tsp Black pepper
- ½ Tsp Chili Flakes *
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- 2 Handful of Spinach *
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast *
- Salt to taste (I did not add much salt to the recipe, at most 1/8th tsp – miso and Worcestershire sauce has enough sodium)
- Your Favorite Pasta
Note: All items (*) can be omitted based on preference and dependent on your quarantine pantry. The list seems long, but most items are pantry staples – outside of Miso/Mushrooms you’d prob have these thing handy in your cubby!
I N S T R U C T I O N S:
- Boil your pasta
- Partially melt the butter in microwave for 30-40 seconds. Some butter should have melted, but about 1/3 should still be solid/soft. Whisk butter and miso paste together, set aside.
- In a sauce pan on medium heat: add oil, onion, garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Toss in mushrooms and cook until they are wilted (1-2 minutes). Add in Worcestershire sauce and wine. Cook until mushrooms have absorbed most of the liquid, then add in miso butter paste. Cook till butter and miso melts and is combined with mushrooms.
- Add in oat milk, water, pepper, chili flakes, and nutritional yeast. Cook till sauce has thickened. Add in lemon juice and salt for taste.
- Cook spinach at the end to wilt. Add in your favorite pasta and toss evenly.
Other #Nganstoptips to help you make the most of your meal:
- Use a combination of mushrooms: if your pantry allows, feel free to use different variations of mushrooms! I only had baby bella on hand, but if you have some shiitake, oyster, or maitake mushrooms, they would only enhance the flavors! Use a combo of your favorites to take home the final rose this Monday night!
- Pair with protein: I paired this pasta with a delicious, tender air fried rib-eye steak and it was mind blowing! If you want to keep it vegan, it will be delicious with some tofu steaks as well!
- The lemon balance out the sauce, so don’t skip this ingredient! If you don’t have lemon then maybe a ½ – 1 tsp of sherry to substitute, or even some sun-dried tomatoes!
- TSA Not Approved: this sauce has to get lost! Unfortunately, this mouthwatering meal cannot be your companion on this flight. First of all – security would never let you get pass because they’d want to keep the meal for themselves. Second, sauce is a liquid and you can’t possibly bring just 3oz of this.