Thirty years in the making calls for a grand ol birthday celebration! But really, any excuse to gather with friends and bake a cake is a good one. I’ve been waiting for quite some time to throw a Mean Girls Theme’d Shindig and ten years of planning really made for an impeccably punny event. Originally, I had wanted to order a King’s Hawaiian Paradise Cake – it had three layers of flavor: guava, key lime, and passion fruit making up a ‘rainbow’ cake with the colors pink, green and yellow. However, after looking at the weekend dessert menu which consisted already of four bought pies from Sunday in June Bakehouse and the distance/inconvenience it would take to get to King’s Hawaiian Bakery – I thought it would be a much more fitting activity to BAKE the rainbow cake full of smiles.
Like all things planned, there is the ‘expectation’ and the ‘execution’. Otherwise known as Expectations vs. Reality – you all know the saying. Although we surely nailed the “bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles”, I doubt anybody would really be happy eating the end product. It’s definitely not something I’d write down as a recipe for you all to repeat – but I thought I’d let you know what NOT to do when attempting this.
- White Cake Box Mix
- Egg Whites
- Food Coloring
What Not To Do:
- Number one, and likely the most important step of all: Avoid getting drunk prior to baking process
- Do not unevenly mix the color in the batter bowl, and then try to mix it together in the greased baking pan- it will stick
- When removing baked cake layer from the pan, don’t forget to oil the plate that layer is going on – otherwise it won’t come off the plate when you try to layer the cake..
- Spreading frosting with hands is not the best idea
- Enjoy the process, and have loads of fun! If you remember my ‘what not to do list’ and avoid at all costs, I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to have your cake and eat it to. In this case: bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy
- Do this with friends, it’s 100% more fun – I swear
- Mean Girls themed events will never disappoint, please throw your own party – because you can’t sit with us.
Although I can’t say it’s my best work and this recipe really comes from Betty Crocker’s Cake Box, this was one of the most enjoyable thing that I’ve made. I’ll leave cake baking to the professionals from now on, but this memory will be cherished forever. Cooking/Baking is best when love is the secret ingredient, and I think this recipe had cups full of it. Must be why this is the biggest fail-wins I’ve ever had. Cheers to friends who execute on your silly ideas.
If you’re looking for other Mean Girls food related things you can make for your party, try out:
- Just Stab Cesar Salad
- Made Out with Hot Dogs
- Lesbian Lebanese Food
- All Carb Diet Bar filled with Breadsticks
- Cheese Fries Bar
- Butter Your Muffins (or English Muffins)
- Toaster Strudels
- Enough Cheese and Crackers for 8 people
- Meanmosa Bar